Re: [openpgp] "SHA-1 is a Shambles" and forging PGP WoT signatures

2020-01-23 16:57:02
On 22.01.20 15:31, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
* The authors could have easily created colliding public keys with
identical (160 bit SHA-1) fingerprints, at the cost of 45k USD.
Although I don't know about any attack made possible by owning such a
pair of keys, the pure existence of a fingerprint collision could cause
problems in some appliations, triggering potential bugs in code that
assumes fingerprints can never be identical.

Does this mean, anyone can create a key pair that has the same fingerprint as I have on my business card, by spending that amount of money?

Does this mean, comparing a 20 bytes (40 hex digits) fingerprint, as printed by e.g. GnuPG 2.2.x, is no longer a reliable way to verify you have obtained the correct key?

Thanks
Kai