[openpgp] signing COSE (RFC8152) artifacts with openpgp keys

2020-07-30 13:52:35

Hi, there is a use case in Software Bill of Materials work (SBOM), where we'd
like to integrate into current open source practices easily.
Open source projects usually announce new releases with a PGP signed email,
a PGP signed git commit, and/or PGP signed tar.gz, usually with a detached
signature.
The community has developed (web-of-)trust in the release key.
(Although in my experience given that I don't have a password that says
"TCPDUMP Group", it is often difficult to get people to sign that key, so the
web-of-trust is less solid than I'd like)

In a number of fora, we are suggesting use of RFC8152 (COSE) objects.
One example is draft-ietf-sacm-coswid-15, but there is other work at OMG as
well.

I would rather not force developers to generate some new key with some new
tool.  I'd like to let them use their existing PGP keypair(s).
Let's forget the software work to make this happen for the moment.
(There certainly could be challenges if the key is in a hardware token, and
it won't generate raw signatures needed for COSE)

Do you think it's appropriate to use the primary key?
Would you consider that a specific purpose subkey would be better?

It's likely we'd always want to use ECDSA (or EdDSA), so if the primary key
wasn't ECDSA, then generating a new subkey would be required anyway.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-