Re: [openpgp] Deprecating SHA1

2020-10-27 19:15:06
On 2020-10-24 at 21:03 -0400, Phil Pennock wrote:
I think really we need some nice pgpkey-sanitycheck command-line
tool, from any project, which looks purely at public key information,
so doesn't need to care about internals (private keys, keyboxes,
etc).

Such a tool might then report on outdated algorithms used in
important places, while avoiding getting into the political mess of
which algorithm order preferences should be included in a key.

I held off on "asking others to write software for me" in the
I'm throwing out a "Hey, pgpkey-sanitycheck would be a nice tool to
have, folks" and running away.

I too have thought in the past we should have a "pgplint" tool.¹
I have several ideas on what to measure (this community probably has
lots more), it's something I could do but didn't have the motivation to
start coding it.

¹ I don't know if Broadcom might dislike such name, though. Maybe it
should be called openpgp-lint, then?