Re: [openpgp] heads-up: re-chartering the OPENPGP WG

2020-11-05 18:00:19
On Wed 2020-11-04 12:24:20 -0800, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 08:36:25AM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
- Revise RFC4880.  The intent is to start from the current rfc4880bis draft.

I'm happy to put that change in, as it reflects what I understand to be the
universal or near-universal sentiment.

To be clear, i think the much of the work in the current rfc4880bis
draft does address the outstanding chartered items, has widespread
adoption and documented WG consensus, or is part of straightforward
editorial cleanup.  There are other parts of the current rfc4880bis that
do not address chartered items, are not widely deployed, or have not
gained consensus.

For the former set, we will absolutely start from the text in the
current rfc4880bis.  For the parts that are in the latter set, we should
reserve any already-documented codepoints in 4880bis, and encourage
advocates who care to advance individual drafts that flesh them out
further.  For what it's worth, this latter set includes things that i
have advocated for, so i'll be following this approach myself.

If the reformed WG can publish an actual rfc4880bis, as chartered and
with consensus and multiple implementations, then we should talk about
rechartering so we can adopt those individual drafts as WG items.

             --dkg