Re: [openpgp] I-D Action: draft-ietf-openpgp-crypto-refresh-00.txt

2021-01-29 20:15:13
On Fri 2021-01-29 11:59:31 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
The -00 document is just the re-generated version of RFC4880. The only
changes are the updated boilerplate and generating code differences of
the xml tools over the years, as well as the document author, role and
name/time of the draft.

Thanks for this, Paul!

You can see the diff with RFC4880 using this url:

https://tools.ietf.org//rfcdiff?url1=https://tools.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4880.txt&url2=https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-openpgp-crypto-refresh-00.txt

I've reviewed this diff and I don't see any substantive changes from RFC
4880 -- just minor formatting differences.  I hope other folks on the
list will take a minute or two to confirm that they're also seeing the
same situation.

I've proposed some document editing workflow clarifications over on
https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/merge_requests/31, including
an ephemeral section (to be removed when we make it to an RFC) that
describes how to collaborate on the document.

The proposed ephemeral section merely echos what we've discussed here,
saying:

# Document Workflow

This document is built from markdown using
[ruby-kramdown-rfc2629](https://rubygems.org/gems/kramdown-rfc2629), and
tracked using [git](https://git-scm.com/).
The markdown source under development can be found in the file
`crypto-refresh.md` in the `main` branch of the [git
repository](https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis).
Discussion of this document should take place on the
[openpgp(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org mailing
list](https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/openpgp).

A non-substantive editorial nit can be submitted directly as a [merge
request](https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/merge_requests/new).
A substantive proposed edit may also be submitted as a merge request, but
should simultaneously be sent to the mailing list for discussion.

An open problem can be recorded and tracked as [an
issue](https://gitlab.com/openpgp-wg/rfc4880bis/-/issues) in the gitlab
issue tracker, but discussion of the issue should take place on the mailing
list.

\[Note to RFC-Editor: Please remove this section on publication.\]

The merge request also includes a nice contribution to the Makefile from
Vincent Breitmoser for how someone comfortable with docker can build the
draft from source.  Thanks, Vincent!

If the editors are comfortable with this change, it'd be great to merge
it into the main branch before we release -01.

We will send out the -01 version in the next couple of days.

Looking forward to it!

        --dkg