Re: [openpgp] Algorithm-specific data: problems with Simple Octet Strings, and possible alternatives

2021-03-25 18:50:45
On Wed 2021-03-24 20:54:49 -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
(a) Seems problematic because of the multiple acceptable representations
    outlined above.  It's already pretty tricky that the fingerprint of
    a piece of given public key material can vary depending on the
    creation timestamp.  Some implementations might try to normalize an
    SOS into a "compliant" MPI, thereby affecting their ability to
    calculate the correct fingerprint.  I don't think we currently have
    any tests that demonstrate interoperability in the face of this kind
    of confusion.

I've opened this issue in the interop test suite suggesting a way to
test whether implementations might diverge:

https://gitlab.com/sequoia-pgp/openpgp-interoperability-test-suite/-/issues/45

sorry to not offer it with any specific implementation yet.

        --dkg