Re: [openpgp] draft minutes for ietf113 openpgp session

2022-03-28 09:15:08

Hiya,

Thanks. I made the changes below.

On 28/03/2022 14:10, Justus Winter wrote:
Stephen Farrell <stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie> writes:

Thanks again to Aron and Florence for taking good notes. Our draft
minutes for the session are at [1]. Please send any
corrections/clarifications/additions to the list and/or chairs in
the next week or so.

] Discussion: ] * Werner Koch (WK) dropped out of DT in summer,
stating the critical questions were already done. Still, since then
there are large changes from then. AEAD started being deployed 4y
ago, and is now being reworked already. The old AEAD packets were
deprecated and new packets were added. Also doesn't think that adding
a new KDF is a good idea, it adds complexity. ] * Daniel Huigens
(DH): AEAD was changed because of a downgrade attack designed from
Lara Bruseghini, converting GCM to CFB if the MDC is broken, leading
to a decryption oracle. Therefore we added key separation. There are
other possibilities, but changes were needed.

I don't think the attack was designed by Lara, AIUI she dug it up.

I did s/designed from/notified by/

] * WK: Better option is to only allow one mode of operation, which
should be OCB. Rather add an optional GCM packet rather than
deprecating the old one. ] * Daniel Kahn Gillmor (DKG): Less is
better, but changing the mode to OCB only is a major change already. ] * WK: Users should have choice of algorithm but not mode. ] * Paul
Wouters (PW): This is an argument for discussion before we make a
PR. ] * Justus Winter (JW): check with Werner to define a more
precise proposal and discuss this on the mailing list.

That was someone else, I don't remember who though.

Yeah, I think that was me saying I'd chat with Werner before
starting the thread on the WG list (to try ensure I don't get
it too badly wrong:-)

Cheers,
S.

Justus