Re: [openpgp] Algorithm expiration

2022-06-02 05:31:22
Hi Stephen,

I have to say (as a co-chair), that I could see it surfacing quite a number
of IETF process issues if we adopted it now.
My original idea applied actually to the PQ composite algorithms, since they
are meant to be a temporary patch until we know more about PQC and if the
algorithms are safe as standalone.
While reporting back the workshop results there seemed to be an interest into
including this into the crypto refresh, as binding this to v5 would give the
advantage of "if you want to use v5 then you have to implement expiration".
This would not allow for some implementations to ignore it, and therefore
making it a useless standard, by being compatible with v5 but not with
expiration.

With this I'm just trying to point out the advantages of binding expiration to
v5, and not trying to delay the refresh forever. I am not opposed to making
this a separate RFC, try to standardise this at the CFRG or IETF level, or
introduce it with the PQC RFC.

Cheers,
Aron

--
Aron Wussler
Sent with ProtonMail, GPG key 0x7E6761563EFE3930