[Fwd: Few comments about draft-tomlinson-epsfw-0040.txt]

2000-07-26 07:06:59

Some feedback
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Few comments about draft-tomlinson-epsfw-0040.txt
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 12:53:07 +0200
From: Sylvain DULOUTRE <sylvain(_dot_)duloutre(_at_)france(_dot_)sun(_dot_)com>
To: Michael(_dot_)Condry(_at_)eng(_dot_)sun(_dot_)com
CC: sylvain(_dot_)duloutre(_at_)france(_dot_)sun(_dot_)com

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update on draft-tomlinson-epsfw-0040.txt.

I've not yet "assimilated" all the implications of this framework on the
proxy architecture. However, I'm
coming back to you with a few comments:

About Rule Base Requirements
----------------------

I would add a mechanism to control the order in which rules are
evaluated and thus the order of the action execution.
Overall results may be unpredictable if there is no way to control when
actions are evaluated.

I would also add a mechanism to define what rules are evaluated.
Different models could be implemented, like
"execute all actions whose rules match", or "execute only the action
associated with the first rule that matches"
(according to the ordering mechanism defined above).

About Proxylet requirements
--------------------

I don't see any reference to a possible cooperation between proxylets to
perform more complex processing.
This would probably require some additional mechanisms to name,register,
discover and invoke a proxylet from another proxylet.

The service environment caching proxy SHOULD define a method to allow
any external domain that it may proxy to
dynamically load or update a proxylet library.

"dynamically load" probably also implies a mechanism to make the
proxylet persistent on the proxy.

ICAP
----

In the document, the proxylet functionality and ICAP are clearly
distinguished.
I think ICAP could be implemented  as a proxylet, so I was wondering if
we could have also a more general section covering the problems (like
trust) with invocation of "remote" services, like ICAP, but no
exclusively.

That's it for now.

-Sylvain