Re: End to End thoughts [long]

2000-09-20 10:28:33
On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 09:50:54AM -0700, Joe Touch wrote:

The IETF, far as I can tell, doesn't consider these issues, unless:

      1. there are technical solutions somewhere underlying
         the social and/or legal

      AND

      2. the legal issues constrain technical solutions
              i.e., solutions which are obviously not viable
              from the legal aspect are probably not worth
              spending time on technically

IMHO both conditions may be met; since there is a group actively discussing
a framework to enable these functions, and there clearly are legal issues,
even if the extent of those issues are unclear.

I believe that there can be technical solutions to these problems, as it
seems that there is other work in the IETF about trust models, etc.

It's a surrogate which implements a cache.

That's marketing doublespeak. It's a cache.

Err, no, it's the terminology defined in the WREC Taxonomy. There can be
significant differences in the cache implemented by a proxy and that
implemented by a surrogate.

There is certainly a model for client-directed caching; several
have worked just fine. Local premesis caching works if the
organization is large (e.g., a school, a company, or a large ISP).
Egress/ingress caching works on national scales, esp. where
bandwidth is limited (e.g., Australia).

There is a model, yes, but I'd debate that it's worked "just fine".

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/