Re: Some elementary thoughts on OPES usage scenarios

2001-02-07 17:10:42
Hi,

Or to use more industry common terms, you're talking about a type of ASP.

Or to use a former "research" term, you're talking about "execution
environments for mobile agents" or "active networks". Both have very
similar problems to what Jayanth described.

While both areas are very promising and would be nice to have, I
haven't seen much of them being deployed. The reason - too complex. I
would hate to see OPES drifting into these grounds and loosing focus.
OPES should focus on content-oriented services - that's complex
enough.

It's a nice utopian vision. However, if I may be skeptical, the ASP market
is having enough trouble providing services and billing for them using a
well-defined & finite number of applications. I'd like to speculate that
providing this type of ASP functionality would only make their lives even
more complicated, and would never get used.

Absolutely agreed.