Re: Streaming (was [midcom] Protocol Requirements -)

2001-04-01 16:42:26
Do you think th?is applys to a streaming callout server in an OPES
environment
At 02:38 PM 4/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
On 30 Mar 2001 at 15:18 -0600, Andrew Molitor apparently wrote:
> > What are you expecting to carry in this protocol that you would want
> > message streaming?  I think of it as a small-message control protocol.
>
>       I am thinking of cases in which a SIP proxy wants to control
> a middlebox that is many many milliseconds away. If the middlebox is
> N milliseconds away, and you want to do NAT and firewalling, you are
> optimistically limited to 1000 / (8 * N) calls per second in the
> absence of streaming
>
> (4 messages at 2*N millseconds round trip = 8*N milliseconds/call)
>
>       which is really low for N bigger than about 4 or 5.

If the control protocol is simple and UDP-based, then you won't have to
wait for acknowledgements either.  I like just saying that you want to
execute many control transactions per second at a distance.

...Scott