Re: ICAP issues

2001-05-04 18:01:08
Hi Andre,

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Andre Beck wrote:

Is there a good reason for not encoding the header sections into one big
chunk so that the entire ICAP message body is chunked encoded? How have
others implemented this?

As I recall from the telconferences long time ago, Don Gilles (Net
App) pushed for chunked encoding *excluding* the headears to ease the
processing routines implementations.  The main goal of chunking was to
help processing large amounts of data.

Secondly, the draft mandates the following:

"If the return code is a 2XX, the ICAP client SHOULD continue its normal
execution of the request. [...] For other
return codes that indicate an error, the proxy SHOULD return these
directly to downstream client."

I believe this is a bug.  I think it was meant to say that the proxy
should return the encapsulated HTTP error, NOT the ICAP error message.

Regards,
-Al