RE: Efficacy of rule specification, processing

2001-06-11 16:41:39

It looks like that by inserting state variables about external environment
into the rules we're expecting the OPES device to control services behavior.
I think that the OPES device should instead only decide whether or not a
service needs to be launched and have the service itself take care about
adapting to dynamic behavior, for example by communicating the required
information to the service itself.

Christian

-----Original Message-----
From: Gamze Seckin [mailto:Gamze(_dot_)Seckin(_at_)luxxon(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 5:01 PM
To: Hilarie Orman; ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Efficacy of rule specification, processing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hilarie Orman" <HORMAN(_at_)volera(_dot_)com>
To: <ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2001 12:15 PM

While there might be systems with no requirements for dynamic
rule uploading, there are others that simply cannot be managed
without that capability.

I'd like to distinguish some types of rule dynamicism, though.
The simple one is "active/deactivate rule".  The other is
"incorporate new rule."  And, at the workshop, we noted
that changing the state of a variable in a rule activation
can be a substitute for adding a rule.  I.e., if we have
the variable "list of banned users", then the action
"add Alice to the list of banned users" and the
rule "if current_user is a member of banned_users then
deny access" is equivalent to the rule
"if user is Alice then deny access".

This hints at why I believe that we need to define
some common set of state variables for actions to
manipulate.

I aggree.  I guess the question would be then how and when
those variables will be communicated.
In streaming case, as talked on the workshop, there might be
no need for streaming rules (since static user profile will
be stored somewhere else).
But if there will be dynamic state variables - and efficient
way of communicating them to the opes client- then a rule can
for example use those to say something like that: "if nw bw
is x (or has changed to y) stream with format/bit rate A/or
B" or "if client has resolution x (or has changed to y)..."

Gamze Seckin, Ph.D.
Luxxon Corporation
www.luxxon.com