RE: OPES claim on iCAP

2001-06-29 09:55:14

I don't like the picture of the ECMA/iCAP forum alliance, the "happy
couple" that shares all interests and is in oposite to everybody else.
At least this is the picture Lee's mail draws in my head.

Two weeks ago this was the situation for me:
- Some companies wanted all technical iCAP work to be done by OPES
(maybe allow ECMA to use the OPES output for their standardization
process)
- Some wanted OPES to concentrate on other things but iCAP
- At least one company that used to be very important for iCAP wanted
all technical work to be done within ECMA

This situation seems to be a very limiting factor for the success of
iCAP.

What I want all the time is to bring everybody who is interested at one
table, to concentrate the technical work in one group with the
leadership to those that give their best to help iCAP forward, to allow
everybody to participate to give input and to form liaisons to groups
that will standardize the protocol that is created at this large table
within their organisations.

We currently have a big gap between members of OPES and members of ECMA.
On both sides of this canyon there are big and important players. So it
is simply not possible to have the long table within OPES nor whithin
ECMA! A bridge is needed to overcome the gap.

All companies interested in iCAP (or at least most of those interested
today) are members of the iCAP forum. That is why I think that this
forum could deal as that bridge. That is why I suggested to use this
forum during that long discussion on the ECMA meeting.

For sure the iCAP forum was very silent during the last months.
I would like to reanimate the forum to become the long table with all
its consequences, like creating a board with representatives of more
than just two companies to give control to a more common base.

Of course this scenario is not the 100% solution for both sides, but
this is the nature of a compromise.
I think it is a good solution for all interested parties:
One group (the iCAP forum) to work on the iCAP protocol. Still enough to
do for the two other groups to deal with iCAP. If wanted by those that
like to be active in more than one group: Joined meetings or meetings at
the same place to reduce travelling efforts.

Martin