RE: Edge to edge discovery

see what others have to say in this regard:

Terminology clarification: The term "end user", as used below, stands for
the destination of conetnt delivered from an origin server/content provider.

(1) OPES boxes are not "inserted" ad hoc in the "data path" - these boxes
are trusted intermediaries that are placed in the data path by someone
authorized to do so (i.e, someone on behalf of the content provider/origin
server or someone on behalf of the end useror someone on behalf of a service
provider acting on behalf of the either content provider or end user).

(2) OPES boxes act on messages that pass through them, based on their
inspection of the contents/header/metadata and hence, can decide to do the
appropriate transform as needed by their "client" - this client could be the
end user or the content provider or a service provider acting on either's
behalf.

Given the above, I see little need for to discover each other. This is not
to say that we need "registries" or "admin domains" that clearly register
and track all the OPES boxes; it is just to state that there seems to be no
necessity for an OPES box to be "dependent" on another box in any way to do
its function.

Comments?

- Rama