RE: QoS decisions made on Rule Engine or Adaptation Service?

2001-08-28 10:51:28

There is value in OPES support for means to get/set parameters & values -
like network load conditions (may be there are a few others?) for the
benefit of other services in addition to the one brought out for use by the
Rule Engine. Whether these values are made available through environment
variables or an explicit protocol needs to be discussed.

If we need sup[port through protocol, some of the existing network
management protocols (like SNMP) might be considered? Is there any objection
to "going lower than session layer"?

- Rama
*******

-----Original Message-----
From: Markus Hofmann [mailto:hofmann(_at_)bell-labs(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2001 8:41 AM
To: Ng Chan Wah
Cc: IETF-OPES
Subject: Re: QoS decisions made on Rule Engine or Adaptation Service?

This leads back to the problem I face which leads me to OPES in the first
place.  How does the adaptation service obtain network condition
informations? There are couple of ways that are either non-standard, or
need
to go lower than the session layer in the protcols stack.

Defining mechanisms for obtaining network conditions seems to be
out-of-scope for OPES. OPES will define the framework that allows you
to plug-in service modules that can do such measurements, but it does
not tell those modules HOW to do it (that's a "local" implementation
decision). OPES might also provide means to consider conditions
obtained through network measurements in rule matching - for example
through system variables. A missing piece now remains a "protocol"
that let's you set system/service variables on OPES intermediaries -
something for OPES to look at?

-Markus