DIME (re: OPES over SOAP)

2001-11-23 13:41:54

I don't recall what the status of the "OPES over SOAP" discussions
is, but FYI:

  http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nielsen-dime-00.txt

Think of DIME as MIME Multipart with byte-counting. It can be used
with SOAP envelopes containing handling instructions as the first
attachment, and a chunked payload (e.g., HTTP message) following;
this is well-suited for OPES use cases.

It's anticipated that a layering of DIME upon raw TCP will be
defined, so that one can use SOAP w/DIME as a means of constructing a
protocol without any other underlying application protocol.

This isn't taking into account the argument that it isn't necessary
to have a callout protocol, which is what I think Mark is saying (and
I've had an inclination to agree with for some time)...

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham, Research Scientist
Akamai Technologies (San Mateo, CA USA)