Fwd: Revised charter proposal (for IESG)

2001-12-17 16:29:44

FYI
From: "Mark Day" <markday(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
To: <cdn(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Subject: Revised charter proposal (for IESG)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:06:44 -0500
Sender: owner-cdn(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org

Our most-recently-submitted charter proposal (back in July) is pretty far
removed from our current reality.  This revision updates links to drafts and
moves milestones into the future, as well as removing text that IESG members
previously objected to.

I introduced a Feb 1 date for making some progress on our AAA draft or
dropping it, as a concrete realization of what we discussed at IETF52.

I'm happy to respond to comments and questions, but I hope the overall
changes are hugely uncontroversial. ;-)

--Mark

Content Distribution Internetworking (cdi)

Chairs:
Mark Day <markday(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>
Phil Rzewski <philr(_at_)inktomi(_dot_)com>

Applications Area Directors:
Ned Freed <ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com>
Patrik Faltstrom <paf(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

Applications Area Advisor:
Patrik Faltstrom <paf(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com>

Mailing lists:
General discussion: cdn(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
To subscribe: cdn-request(_at_)ops(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org
Archive: ftp://ops.ietf.org/pub/lists/cdn.*

Description of Working Group:

The goal of this working group is to define protocols to allow the
interoperation of separately-administered content networks.

A content network is an architecture of network elements, arranged for
efficient delivery of digital content. Such content includes, but is not
limited to, web pages and images delivered via HTTP, and streaming or
continuous media delivered via RTSP.

The working group will first define requirements for three modes of
content internetworking: interoperation of request-routing systems,
interoperation of distribution systems, and interoperation of accounting
systems.  These requirements are intended to lead to a follow-on effort to
define protocols for interoperation of these systems.

In its initial form, the working group is not chartered to deliver those
protocols, but we encourage individual submission of internet-drafts
describing protocols intended to meet the evolving requirements.  We
anticipate rechartering of the working group to specify protocols, after the
requirements documents are stable and rough consensus emerges about the
number and relationship of such protocols.

In addition to defining requirements, the working group will develop a
number of supporting documents.  These documents are: a shared vocabulary
for the problem domain, scenarios, an overall architecture for
interoperation, and a summary of request-routing mechanisms currently in
use.  The total expected deliverables are as follows, including the current
draft corresponding to each:

1. Vocabulary
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-day-cdnp-model-09.txt

2. Scenarios
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-day-cdnp-scenarios-04.txt

3. System Architecture
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-green-cdnp-gen-arch-03.txt

4. Request-Routing Known Mechanisms
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cain-cdnp-known-request-routing-04
.txt

5. Requirements for Request-Routing
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cain-request-routing-req-03.txt

6. Requirements for Distribution
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-amini-cdi-distribution-reqs-02.txt

7. Requirements for Accounting
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gilletti-cdnp-aaa-reqs-01.txt

Goals and Milestones

February 1, 2002: Start WG last calls for vocabulary, scenarios, system
architecture, request-routing known mechanisms.

February 1, 2002: Deadline for new accounting requirements draft or dropping
accounting requirements from deliverables.

March 1, 2002: Start WG last calls for request-routing requirements and
distribution requirements.

March 17-22, 2002: Meet at IETF53 to resolve issues

May 1, 2002: All supporting (non-requirements) documents published as RFCs
by this date.

June 1, 2002: Request-routing requirements and distribution requirements
published as RFCs by this date.

Internet-Drafts:

In addition to the drafts listed with specific deliverables, the following
CDI-related drafts have been written by participants in the group.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-douglis-cdi-known-mech-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-cain-cdi-cnap-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-barbir-cdi-cnapcomp-00.txt

Michael W. Condry