call protocol requirements questions

2002-04-16 13:33:22
This is my current list of call protocol requirements questions. Any
opinions?

*Should it be reliable?
 Would the transport layer provide this service?
*Should it be congestion aware?
 Would the transport layer provide this service?
*Should it support keepalives?
 Would the transport layer provide this service (SCTP, for instance)?
*Should the protocol reuse current encryption methods? We assume yes.
*What about Failover requirements?
*Should it support capability negotiation?
 For instance you just tell the intermediary that there are some callout
server available and it figures out by itself which
 services each one provides, extensions, etc.
*Should it be NAT friendly?
*Should it work through firewalls?
 Maybe in some situations the intermediary is also a middlebox.
*Should it be application agnostic?

regards,

Reinaldo