Re: draft-ietf-opes-protocol-reqs-01

2002-06-20 16:18:32

Hello Srinivas,

bindignavile(_dot_)srinivas(_at_)nokia(_dot_)com wrote:
>> Section 3.13 of the draft talks about the need for application
>> message segmentation, i.e. an OPES processor may have to forward an
>>  application message to a callout server in a series of fragments.
>> If this is the case, then the OCP may choose to encapsulate
>> application message fragments into separate OCP messages (which
>> would all be part of the same OCP request). The same applies to OCP
>> response to only one OCP message.
>

> I see your point here! However, I think that you might want to reword
> this statement to indicate that, if the original application message
> is not too large (meaning not segmented), then each application
> message SHOULD be sent in a separate OCP message rather than sending
> multiple application messages in the same OCP message (possibly to
> reduce overhead).

IMO each callout request and response (which may each consist of multiple OCP messages) should only contain a single application message, but I am not sure that this is what you meant. What are your concerns for sending multiple application messages within the same OCP message?

>> I see your point, but we did not mean to imply that a "premature
>> termination" represents an error condition of any kind. It's simply
>>  something that occurs when an OPES processor terminates a callout
>> transaction before the completion of a callout request. This
>> usually happens when an OPES service terminates before the entire
>> OCP request was sent. As you pointed out, this may be the normal
>> operation of the OPES service. If the term "premature termination"
>> is confusing, then maybe we should call it something else. Any
>> suggestions?
>
> Could we call it "service completion" instead? After all, for the
> example of Content Analysis, the successful determination of the
> content type (of the data stream) does represent the completion of
> the required service.

Right, "Service Completion" is a good description of an event that could trigger a "premature termination" of a callout transaction. I'll rephrase the corresponding section in the draft to reflect this and give a better description of the termination process.

Thanks,
Andre