RE: Protocol Performance

2002-06-26 13:42:30

Hi Ian,

I agree with you, after double-checking with the Alteon products information on
the Nortel website, that a L7 switch like the Alteon web switch (in the Alteon
products suite) cannot be used as an OPES device. However, I am not sure if I
agree with you that the L7 switch cannot be controlled by either end. Control
by the receiver doesnt seem to be feasible. However, coupled with the Alteon
Web OS product, control by the sending side is possible!

-Srinivas

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Ian Cooper [mailto:ian(_at_)the-coopers(_dot_)org]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 4:31 AM
To: Gamze Seckin
Cc: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Protocol Performance

--On 25 June 2002 16:34 -0700 Gamze Seckin <gamze(_at_)hmus(_dot_)net> wrote:

2. Is it safe to say that a L7 switch (web switch, e.g. nortel
alteon) is a simplified OPES device (since ICAP is not an
requirement)?
If not, why?

No.

The L7 switch isn't a known entity in the communication path
between the
parties engaged in the request-response chain and as such can't be
controlled by either of the parties.