RE: Authentication Requirements in opes-authorization-00 (section 4.2)

2002-10-23 08:14:46

Eric, technically you right - if we are looking only at transport
protocols many things in this draft are not relevant. But
essentially OPES (as well as WEBI and CDN) works on "overlay
network" - the architecture describes system structure built
above application level protocol. This structure sets requirements
for protocols and policies. In this sense one might look at
policies as a very high level protocols that control
communication of certain application level information.

IETF often ventures beyond protocol level considerations. A good
example is RFC 3238 - IAB Considerations for OPES. Out of all
considerations listed in the summary only one - 2.2, IP-layer
addressing - is talking about protocol level requirements, and
even this one is based on policy considerations that are
not dictated by the data transfer needs.

Again, I agree that many OPES drafts do have some inconsistencies
that are due to the fact that each of these drafts deals with
variety of protocol levels. Comments like this one may help
to improve them - but we should always keep in mind that this
group is working not on protocol, but on multilevel
infrastructure.

Oskar