RE: to share OPES operations experience

2003-01-30 08:10:01
On 16:24 29/01/03, Abbie Barbir said:
Hi,
In my opinion, u can start on this list.
if it gets too wild, we can move it to somewhaere else.

Thank you. May be not too wild, but I may ask things already discussed (I had not time to read the whole archives I cannot FTP) and I may be confusing because I includes OPES into a broader architecture, I sold as "Network Extended Services", a long ago. My target is not to discuss that aspect before I have fully understood what has already been done and discussed in here.

Since this is public list I will also try to keep general and I thank you to respect whatever could be IP worth.

Basically I am trying to develop a test simple yet operational system and to gain technical, commercial, legal, operational experience from it. I will name the project "smart pipe". The idea is to get data flows and to forward them to the final host (at least for us). To see how it works and then to build from it. This is very basic: i suppose some already done it?.

First point is that we may get data in through several protocols and data out though several other protocols. Has someone developed something already in that area or a doctrine?

Next is what type of system should we develop? Web services are supposed to be http related. Has someone developed an experience? or comments?

I understand OPC is to relate with other OPES through an "overlay" (I am not sure the meaning is good). I feel there is also a need for another relation (I would name "underlay" what may carry a good image) interworking dispatchers.

So the design I think about is as follow ;

(fixed character set)

             +------------------------+
underlay <===| open services internal |===>
             [ remote internet switch |
             +------------------------+
          ---|    HTTP I/O      |  D  |
             +------------------+  i  +
          ---|    FTP I/O       |  s  |
             +------------------+  p  +
          ---|    MAIL I/O      |  a  |
overlay   ---|    OPC           |  c  |
             |    Statistics    |  e  |
             |    local OPES    |     |

I note that the OPC protocol would be embedded in the underlay network protocol when the remote OPES is under our own same architecture. Also, if we have this architecture managing the whole telemate (tele-automate) the underlay network system would form some kind of network operating system not necessarily under IP.

I would be interested in every comment. Thank you.
jfc