RE: OPES transport protocol

From: Alex Rousskov [mailto:rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 3:14 PM
To: ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject: OPES transport protocol

SNIP

Finally, based on e-mails on this list, I expect some
resistance to SOAP because SOAP is not an IETF standard. I do
not know what the official IETF (IAB?) position is regarding
developing IETF standards that rely on IETF-level but
non-IETF standards. Are there historical precedents (e.g.,
standard-track RFCs) of IETF specs based on SOAP? If there is
a political problem with SOAP, supporting multiple optional
bindings (including SOAP) may help to avoid a deadly clash
with IETF policies.

Thank you,

Alex.

Yes, I would expect resistance to SOAP, but I may also expect resistance to
any other protocols too.
The first step that need to be answered is why not this protocl, why a new
one etc..

There was some debate about SOAP before and the views varied. U can do a
check on it by searching for SOAP on the ID-draft link on the IETF homepage.

abbie