RE: Comments on ocp-00

2003-04-03 10:44:05

Here is a short summary of the pending issues on this thread.

        a) OPES processor may be able to pre-process application
          messages (e.g., extract payload). Callout servers
          may be able to handle various kinds of application
          data (e.g., complete HTTP messages versus MIME-encoded
          payload). Thus, somebody needs to tell OPES processor
          and callout server what is an "application message"
          definition that they should both use during OCP
          communications. Should OCP support auto-negotiation or
          rely on out-of-band (e.g., manual) configuration?

        b) Do we really need a special "error" flag to say
          "rally bad error; you should probably wipe out all
           related state". Or can we assign the same side-effect
           to some of the result codes?

        c) OPES processor can be [a part of] an application-level
          proxy. Can OPES processor be a transport-level gateway
          too? For example, can OPES processor manipulate with
          raw TCP packets and care about things like
          retransmissions and ACKs?

        d) If a fragment of an application message is lost,
           [how] should OPES processor signal that to the callout
           server? A loss can happen when adapting lossy application
           protocols.

        e) Do we need to group processing of a single application
           message together using OCP transaction concept? Should
           OCP transaction mean something else? Do we need OCP
           transactions at all?

Detailed responses are inlined below.