Re: Tracing Draft version-0004082003

2003-04-09 08:11:23

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, jfcm wrote:

I mean that if he permits to block the tracing facility (what you
object) he documents case were there is no tracing and notification.
So notification should be in the title.

I do not see where the current tracing draft documents notification
support/assistance without tracing. Did I miss it? In fact, that is
the primary reason I objected to giving one side an ability to disable
all tracing -- without tracing we have no notification assistance!
(and the latter is required)

Also IAB expects a paper on tracing.
What makes you think that? RFC 3238 does not contain the word "trace"
or "tracing", just "notification". Did I miss it?

lapsus calami. I meant IAB expects a paper on notification. Adding
tracingis OK but notification must also be quoted in the title.

Since the draft is actually about tracing (because we do not provide
any direct support for notification) it is wrong to put notification
in the title. Unless, of course, we want to say something like "OPES
Tracing and lack of Notification" :-).

If HTTP Via is SHOULD it can only be SHOULD.

Why? HTTP does (did) not have IAB considerations to address. We have a
much higher bar to jump over.

IAB is not the reference for me. The reference is the consistency of what
is considered. OPES are over HTTP. There should not be obliged more than
the supporting HTTP protocol. Seems layer violation to me.

I see no layer violation whatsoever. It is like saying that SSL/TLS
encryption over HTTP is a layer violation because HTTP layer is not
secure. We are not affecting any compliant HTTP implementation by
making OPES tracing mandatory.

Also, OPES is over many things, not just HTTP.

If a provider has an option to turn _all_ tracing off, then we are not
supporting notification in any shape or form. Privacy can be permitted
by making trace entries contain no private information.

If you accept to waste bandwidth and nanoseconds, yes.

It is not a waste, it is a trade-off. We trade additional information
(like OPES system identification) for fewer bytes on the wire.

Alex.