AW: OCP Core version head_sid8 available

2003-05-30 14:07:22

- break

[...]

Personally, I favor option 2. I think there was some discussion about
this already. Please see the noisy "copying commitment and deadlock"
thread around March 24th and 25th. Here is a gist of what seemed as a
good solution at that time:

      - To get out of the loop early, a callout server
        sends a i-want-out message to the processor

      - To let a callout server out of the loop,
        the processor must send xaction-end message
        to the server

      - A callout server cannot get out of the loop
        nicely until it receives a xaction-end message

The above scheme is simple and deadlock free. Note that it does not
rely on processor supporting copying of data; there is no copying
commitment involved. The scheme is efficient unless there are a lot of
unprocessed messages buffered between the processor and the server. To
increase efficiency, a more complex scheme with priority communication
channels would be required (to bypass a long chain of unprocessed
messages).

Would you like us to proceed with this i-want-out/xaction-end scheme?

Thank you for carrying this out again.
I now agree that this seems to be the best option.

Martin