IPv6

2003-07-09 07:40:55

I apologize for not having participated lately to the work of the WG, being taken by others important (to my familly) tasks. I am trying to bring me up to speed now the fight seems over :-).

An important point came accross recently at TFIPv6 and through some words of Tom Leighton (Akamai). It could be summarized this way "are routing and addressing" to be related? Today the routing is fixed tables dependant and addresses are ISP dependant. There are aound 140.000 routes in these tables. Rumors (? may be someone knows better) have that over 200.000 routes there might be instability.

I observe that many problems currently discussed over IPv6 would disapear would the SLA (Second Level Address) be totally independant from the TLA (Top Level Adress). This would mean that the begining of the IPv6 address would be used identify the physical network (as the TLD indentifies the virtual network). And the SLA would identify the physical System (as does a telephone number which uniquely identify a mobile whatever the local network used to call it - for example abroad).

This would for example permit to support Catenet (the archtecture of Louis Pouzin they considered for a while where the inputs of all the links are concatenated on a per port basis, so you may receive data through a non DoSed ISP). This would simplify the knowledge and the organization of dynamic tables for routing.

To test the concept an archtecture is necessary without redesigning routers. Could the architecture be a network or OPES servers used to route datagrams over OCP.

1. let suppose that I use 60 or 100 OPES servers.
2. Each of them has physical links to Hosts and to other OPES.
3. each time a datagram is sent a dispatcher looks at the destination IP address and if it is among the connected Hosts it builds an OCP path to reach that host as a list of {OPES server:port nr}.

a) I understand that OCP could support it
b) I understand that OCP could support many additional services such as killing a blocked connexion? c) this is software, but I would be interested in comments about the probable speed? d) how OCP could support an exploration of the OPES servers network at start (or on demand) to kown the most simply the topology of the network and of the Hosts ports (this can be a simple application, but would you see some OCP features that would help verification, speed, etc.?) e) obviously this could be partly hard coded and gain speed and stability. CommentsN

One of the interesting feature I suppose OCP would support easily would be a fast and no loop routing in having the current machine removed from the list of the {OPES:Ports] when the datagram is sent. This simple service by the current OPES server would create a true pipe, OCP being able to report the end success and the on-path failures and request alternate routing. The OPES servers could bufferise the data until they are told the next node forwarded them (or the first server until data reached the end). If the next node failedn an alternative path could be requested and no datagram could be lost. If I am right OCP would also make sure there is no intruding datagrams?

jfc