Re: processing points in draft-beck-opes-irml-03

2003-08-19 15:25:02

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Andre Beck wrote:

Yes, I think application-specific processing points should be
defined in the corresponding application protocol binding for IRML,
but I still think that it makes sense to define a general mechanism
of how to specify processing points in IRML rules in the IRML spec.
Is this what you had in mind as well?

Yes, kind of. It all depends on the overall language design. With the
current design, we have to describe "processing point" as a general
concept/attribute (without defining any application-specific values).
This is because the current draft makes this particular attribute
special compared to other "properties". You have already explained the
motivation behind this design.

An alternative is a an approach where "processing point" becomes just
one of the application-specific properties and requires no special
treatment or even documentation in the IRML Core. Application-specific
interpreters or compilers would be free to treat/optimize this
property specially, of course.