RE: moving along on rules language

2003-09-11 07:48:50

-- Posted on behalf of Anwar M. Haneef <anwar(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com>

        ---------- Forwarded message ----------
        Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:45:54 -0500
        From: Anwar M. Haneef <anwar(_at_)motorola(_dot_)com>
        To: rousskov(_at_)measurement-factory(_dot_)com
        Subject: RE: moving along on rules language

I haven't been an active participant on this list, but have worked on
OPES for a while (2 years) from an academic standpoint. I agree with
Andre regarding the compactness of the rule expression language. The
reason for this is because I don't see the need for these rules to be
interepreted on the fly. A more realistic scenario from my perspective
would be an intermediary pulling out pre-interpreted rules that are
stored in 'bytecode' native to an intermediary at the processing
points. This would reduce the processing overhead at the intermediary
since the pre-processing and archiving of processing point rules could
be done offline.

On the other hand, Alex's proposed P language seems to entertain a
more flexible mechanism for expressing expressions. Maybe this is due
to my lack of experience in languages, but this is one major issue I
had with developing IRML-based Processing Point rules for content
delivery based on QoS and device characteristics. My Master's Thesis
on an OPES-based approach for content delivery for heterogeneous
multi-deviced user environments is accessible at:
http://anwarhaneef.home.comcast.net/publications/publications.htm#thesis
for those who might be interested.

Another concern I had regarding P is the relative ease or complexity
of auto-generation P language rules. For instance, from my previous
experience (mentioned above), it is relatively simple to generate an
XML-based IRML rule by parsing a restricted clickable-web form that
allows users to define their preferences.

I guess most of these concerns boil down to my apprehensions regarding
the amount of expertise in the market with XML-parsers as opposed to
BNF parsers-generators. Should ease of development be a criterion ?

Also, would it be possible to mix the features in IRML and P to
develop a mechanism by which structure could be defined by the
XML-based IRML while P syntax is used for expressions, something like:

       <property name="Content-Type" context="res-msg"
                                                   matches="text/html">
         <!-- Is the user's preferred language supported? -->
         <property name="Accept-Languages" context="req-msg"
                                             matches="^de|^fr|^it|^es">
                <p_expression>
                        _DIALUP := 288000;
                        client := Http.request.property("User-Agent");
                        if ( client == "WAP Browser" or client.bandwidth() <
_DIALUP )
                        {
                                _irml(
                                   <execute>
                                     <service name="Text Compression">

<uri>opes://compressme.com/textcompress</uri>
                                 </service>
                                     </execute>
                                );
                        }
                </p_expression>
           <!-- Invoke translation service Babelfish -->
           <execute>
             <service name="BabelFish Translation">
               <uri>opes://altavista.com/babelfish</uri>
             </service>
           </execute>
                </property>
         </property>
       </property>

I hope I haven't confused people here. But, C/C++ programmers would
note that this is similar to how ASM code can be placed inline in a
C/C++ program. As you can note, we could allow P language script to
include IRML and vice versa. Would this be a technical noghtmare to
develop ? Any comments on this approach ?

Regards,
Anwar

Anwar M. Haneef
Senior Research Engineer