RE: OCP message rendering

2003-10-08 02:00:17

I got tired from counting characters and trying to preserve correct
spacing when typing OCP examples. Since OCP message format is strict
and well documented for machine use, I think it is wrong for us,
humans, to suffer from machine-level optimizations when
typesetting OCP
examples irrelevant to those optimizations.

I do not agree here.
People try how examples work. We will have prototype implementations that
just replay the examples from the draft and people wonder that they fail,
even more if the debugging output of a working other solution shows the
same output.
OCP is not a binary format and as being text it is easy to copy sample
messages and paste them in a telnet client, playing around with these
examples.
So, I am a strong supporter of having working examples somewhere.
And one of the best places for me is the official draft or RFC.

Line breaks are an exception, they are essential for rendering purposes,
some of those need to be removed to get working samples. An alternative
here could be to print a special character that marks those soft breaks
for rendering purposes.
That's why I'd welcome a Message Rendering Section that explains this.

I can review the examples in the draft and help to ensure correct character
counts and spaces.

Regards
Martin