Usage/ Applicability question

2003-12-23 16:51:42
I work for a wireless appliance company and we have been looking at the
drafts produced by this working committee. I am interested in utilizing
the framework created by OPES for implementing distributed solutions.
While the drafts appear to lead me to a potential framework, I am not
sure about a couple of points. Perhaps, someone can help guide me on two
topics

Background
------------------
Our solution consists of distributed platforms that carry HTTP content
and process the traffic along the path. The first box processes traffic
from a "producer" and hands it over to a second box which performs
additional processing before it is handed off to a "consumer". Box-1 and
box-2 are OPES processors, to use the terminology applied in the drafts.
The first box is a load balancer/content switch gateway. The second box
is a wireless content optimizer. In this solution, the load
balancer/content switch gateway is the primary "collector" of billing
information, and the content optimizer provides "corrections" to the
billing record based on the amount of traffic that is
compressed/optimized.

Usage Question
We would like HTTP billing records to be collected for HTTP sessions. We
would like the two boxes to exchange billing update information, based
upon HTTP transactions within the session. We would like to utilize OCP
to control the process of record exchange between the two boxes. There
is no call-out/dispatcher relationship between the two boxes. From my
interpretation of the use case scenario, I need a dispatcher/call-out
relationship to apply the procedure specified in the drafts: Is this a
true assumption?

Will/Can a use case extension be made for solution such as the one that
I have described above? We are trying to use OCP between two OPES
processors. We plan to support in-line tracing, but HTTP adaptation will
be handled independently by the OPES entities (box-1 and box-2) along
the way. The OPES entities will only exchanging control records related
to usage and billing on a per session-transaction basis. The OPES
entities would also, independently, apply Policy specifications.

Can OPC be applied to a situation where traffic adaptation is not
controlled by the OPC protocol, but only the usage records are exchanged
over the OPC protocol? Can OPC be used only to signal sessions and
transactions so that usage records can be associated with them?

Thanks
Krishna Ramadas
Venturi Wireless Networks