Work on Rules Language

2004-03-29 06:34:42

Folks,

the deadline for our rules language document was October last year. This deadline has already been extended a few times. So we need to decide on how to move on with this document.

Based on earlier discussions on the mailing list about status and work needed, we checked with Ted (our AD) and discussed the following options:

 (1) Produce a minimal draft on "P" now, knowing that it will not
     be sufficient and be obsolete if the group gets re-chartered
     and if it continues to work on "P".
     Pros: We would meet the charter item
     Cons: Wastes time (assuming "P" will be in possible re-charter)

 (2) Extend the current deadline for another 2-4 months.

 (3) Remove this specific work item from our current charter and
     put it up for consideration in a possible re-charter.

After discussions with Ted, we believe that choice (3) is the most sensible, as it allows us to actually to do the work we believe needs doing, and all this in a realistic time frame. We also won't waste any time completing a document that won't meet our needs.

As such, we'll send a request to our AD and to the secretariat to remove the OPES rules language from our current charter and include it in discussions for a re-charter.

Any strong objections?

Thanks,
  Markus