Re: Revised ID Needed for draft-ietf-opes-iab-04?

2004-04-12 09:16:20

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Markus Hofmann wrote:

Looks good to me. At the end of the day, please go ahead ab request
publication of the updated draft. I'll then notify ted that this
draft has been modified to address the IESG comments.

I submitted the iab-05 draft for publication today.

Just for clarification - this example implies that an OPES processor
could use trace information to determine where to send notifications
to.

More like what to include in those notifications, I think. I inserted
a few adjectives and explicitly defined a few "it" and "that" to
clarify:

   Another environment where efficient and meaningful notification using
   OPES tracing is possible are Content Delivery Networks (CDNs).  A CDN
   node may use multiple content adaptation services to customize
   generic content supplied by the content producer (a web site). For
   example, a callout service may insert advertisements for client-local
   events.  The CDN node itself may not understand specifics of the ad
   insertion algorithm implemented at callout servers.  However, the
   node may use information in the OPES trace (e.g., coming from the
   callout service) to notify the content producer. Such notifications
   may be about the number of certain advertisements inserted (i.e., the
   number of "impressions" delivered to the customer) or even the number
   of ad "clicks" the customer made (e.g., if the node hosts content
   linked from the ads).  Callout services doing ad insertion may lack
   details (e.g., a customer ID/address or a web server authentication
   token) to contact the content producer directly in this case. Thus,
   OPES trace produced by an OPES service becomes essential in enabling
   meaningful notifications that the CDN node sends to the content
   producer.

I hope the above polished text conveys the same meaning better. If it
is not good enough, please suggest specific changes or we can delete
the entire example.

Thank you,