Re: OCP/SMTP, /MAIL, or /MIME profile?

2004-06-28 18:42:45

Alex Rousskov wrote:

I am not an SMTP/IMAP/POP/etc expert, unfortunately. Perhaps due to my
lack of in-depth understanding of all these "e-mail" protocols, I
wonder whether a more general "mail" or even MIME profile should be
considered for OCP _instead of_ SMTP profile.

Certainly worthwhile to consider, although I'm *not* an email expert to tell whether something like that is feasible.

A few folks expressed interest in having support for SMTP - is SMTP the only protocol of interest, or is there also a practical need for IMAP/POP? Does anyone have specific use cases in mind?

Similar to what we did in the first charter, we can make SMTP the prime goal which we'll have to provide a solution for, but we can first explore the feasibility of a general "email/MIME" profile (and maybe include an explicit charter item for such exploration). Making a rash decision now without spending careful thoughts migth backfire.