SMTP Use Cases

2004-10-22 03:19:22

Hi,

mid of July there has been a short discussion whether we want
to add a Use Cases section to the SMTP adaptation draft or
create an extra document about SMTP use cases.

Maybe we first collect the use cases we feel important to
write about and then also consider the volume of that before
deciding where to put it.

Here are my first thoughts on SMTP use cases.
Please add and comment.

There are use cases for SMTP message content (1) and SMTP dialog
adaptation (2). And there are use cases where the message content
may have an influence on mail forwarding options or trigger
other side effects (3).

1. Examples for message content adaptation:

- Virus checking
- Other security policies (e.g. forbidden attachment types)
- Content Analyzes (classify content into categories, search for forbidden
content)
- Translation of message text
- Filter Spam (pure content adaption may just mark the message, for other
actions see below)
- Transform content to make it better readable on special mail clients (e.g.
Blackberries)
- Encrypt emails or verify signature.

2. Short form of the examples for SMTP dialog adaptation I gave in my emai
on July 14, plus a new one:

- Validate "MAIL FROM"
- Validate "RCPT TO"
- Sender validation via IP, HELO, SenderID, etc.
- Resolve distribution lists

3. Examples for mail forwarding options or other side effects:

- Delay a message of a certain size or content
- Send virus notifications to others when virus has been detected
- Move email to a special queue (e.g. Spam queue)
- Drop a (spam) message
- Out of office replies

Regards
Martin