RE: [draft-ietf-opes-smtp-use-cases-01]

2005-01-22 08:52:54

At 05:10 22/01/2005, Tony Finch wrote:

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, jfcm wrote:

> What are the objections to consider filtering the stored data, without
> considering the forwarding data flow?

You have to be able to reject incoming messages during the SMTP
conversation.

You are right. So I should rephrase this. I think this is very near from what Martin everyone says, but one function more.

Martin says "The filtering functionality is on the callout server. No difference between HTTP and SMTP here. The callout server may even support adaptation of both messages for both protocols. That is our application agnostic approach. The callout server
is an OCP server with some filtering services."

Hilarie says "HTTP OPES could also act on stored messages, but it is more efficient to handle the data as a stream and separate the storage function into a later stage."

I would rephrase this: OPES processor/network should use two kinds of callout servers built as an OCP server. (1) filtering the data stream as in HTTP, SMTP and probably many other protocols (2) scanning stored files as in the store phases of an MTA and probably many applications.

I think everyone can easily think of uses of each. May be we can make a list to include in thre draft. If you consider the differences of the two models the data stream filtering will have the typical use we quoted, while the file scanning will give ideas of new usages.

jfc