RE: Response modification

2005-01-23 03:43:48

Hilarie,

I think I finally got the idea:
In this scenario we are really thinking about a proxy like functionality of the
MTA.
A sender MTA does a dialog with the proxy and the proxy is doing a dialog with
another MTA at the same time. Forwarding the RCPT command to the next MTA and
sending back the response.
And here response modification comes into play.

Correct so far?

If the next MTA is returning an error, it could of course be "modified", if the
proxy selects another address and tries that one again in a RCPT command to the
next proxy. On success it sends back the positive response. Is this the way the
"alternative mapping" method would work?
The callout server is determining the other address, maybe even other next MTA.
So it tells the proxy MTA to send another command to the same or a different
next MTA?

Also correct?

Thank you for helping me to understand.

Regards