Re: OPES or not OPES

2005-05-31 07:38:54

jfcm wrote:

Any chance that this WG restarts?

Valid question! Here's the status to the best of my knowledge:

- Abbie indicated that he won't be able to continue working on OPES at the moment (although he might be back at a later point in time). Martin took over the "SMTP Use Cases" draft and is currently re-writing it based on comments from the last meeting. I would hope we can have a "WG Last Call" within th next two weeks.

- Once the Use Cases draft is wrapped up, we'll have to start working on the OCP/SMTP draft at full speed. We must have a reasonably first draft before the Paris meeting - cut-off date is July 11. This leaves us only 5 weeks or so... Martin indicated that he'd be willing to take a lead on this work, too. Anyone else interested, please let Martin, Tony, and me know. If we don't make good progress soon, I'd recommend to close the WG.

- Alex provided an analyzis/thoughts on Sieve and "P", which received a few comments. We cannot declare consensus on whether to extend sieve or continue with "P" based on three emails. If there's no enthusiasm/interest on this topic we should fold it. If someone has a strong feeling on either sieve or "P" or something else, I suggest the person to write an initial individual draft to get something going. Otherwise, I suggest we remove this item from the charter.

Key problem, however, seems to be a lack of interest in actually deploying OPES. Otherwise there would be more people willing to actively work on it.

Thanks,
  Markus