Re: RE: OCP - Transaction End (TE)

2007-02-07 07:11:08

Hi!

I also think that both side should send a TE message immediately after they do
not want to send any further data (as described in the rfc), but to free the
data associated with the whole transaction could cause trouble.

Let's assume a service that appends some data to the original stream. If the
OPES-processor sends a TE message after it has finished data-transmission, the
service could never finish the delivery of the adapted stream, because the
OPES-processor has no data about the transaction anymore.

And what if e.g. the callout-server terminates the transaction with an error
while the processor is still sending data. What statuscode should then be used
by the processor for its TE message?

By the way the rfc specifies:
|> An OCP agent MUST send a Transaction End (TE) message immediately
|> after it makes a decision to send no more messages related to the
|> corresponding transaction.

Please note the "to send no more messages". But does that mean that the agent
does not want to _receive_ data related to the transaction anymore?

Regards,
Martin Thelian

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:58:08 +0100
Von: "Stecher,Martin" <martin_stecher(_at_)securecomputing(_dot_)com>
An: "Martin Thelian" <Martin(_dot_)Thelian(_at_)gmx(_dot_)at>, "Openproxy"
<ietf-openproxy(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
CC:
Betreff: RE: OCP - Transaction End (TE)

Hi Martin,

I didn't look up my notes now but trying to remember what we discussed:

Both agents are allowed to end a transaction at any time.
Messages can be sent at any time from any peer. There is no way to control
that client and server
do not send their TE messages simulatinously.

When an agent sends a TE message it will free the data it has associated
with this transaction.
Still in many cases it will receive messages for this transaction from the
other peer.
But those messages do then belong to an unknown transaction and therefore
must be ignored.
So, whether the other peer sends a TE or not is irrelevant.

I think, it would be at least good practice if an agent sends a TE when
it is done with the transaction, no matter how this decision has been
done,
even it is convinced
that the peer has already sent his TE. Sending its own TE does not harm
but
if no side is sending
a TE we have a problem. That's why all examples I did have a TE from both
ends.

Regards
Martin Stecher