RE: Alternative symmetric algorithm freely available forIETFS/MIME (re: RC2 licensing).

1997-04-17 21:03:50
Fair enough -- let me put it this way.  If US domestic restrictions in
this particular case are not part of the IETF standard setting, then how
can we possibly come up with a guaranteed interoperable specification
(which was the primary goal of S/MIME before being introduced to the
IETF, and is still written in the charter that way)?

And I certainly hope that if *your* needs weren't being represented by
the IETF that you would speak up.  It's your duty.

From:  lindsay(_at_)powerup(_dot_)com(_dot_)au
[SMTP:lindsay(_at_)powerup(_dot_)com(_dot_)au]
Sent:  Thursday, April 17, 1997 8:42 PM
To:    Blake Ramsdell
Cc:    ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org
Subject:       RE: Alternative symmetric algorithm freely available
forIETFS/MIME
(re: RC2 licensing).

I'm don't think that Steve is wrong in his wording that "the goals of
the IETF are out of step with US companies' business needs".
Consider
the following:

The part I have a problem with is "US companies' business needs" - why should
we care ? What about the needs of New Zealand business, or european or all
the other hundreds of political entities.

I State:
      US domestic restrictions should *not* be a par of the IETF standard
setting.

Yours Sincerely,

Lindsay Mathieson
Black Paw Communications