RE: application/mime and binary data

1997-07-28 14:42:25
I disagree with Lewis' comment. Application/mime pulls the MIME type and
parameters up from the encapsulated MIME entity so the software processing
it knows what is encapsulated. That is pretty fundamental to the
application/mime being of any use (I agree with Lewis on that). Thus the
MIME type of an S/MIME message might be:

C-T: application/mime; content-type="multipart/signed";
   protocol="application/pcks7-signature"; micalg=zodnots

The advantage that application/signed has over this is that many MUAs and
MTAs may not be able to dispatch on MIME parameters while they can do so on
MIME types. OTOH, the advantage of application/mime is that it is very
generic and may be implemented in many MUAs and thus become more widespread
than application/signed.  I expect application/mime may become very useful
for multipart/related, which is also going to be destroyed by gateways and
for which I anticipate there being stand-alone viewers.

So maybe the analogy I'd choose is a benevolent cloud, rather than
splattering chainsaw, but maybe I've been around too many marketing folks
lately...

A further way type information about the encapsulated object can be carried
across gateways (in either direction) is with the filename parameter to
Content-Disposition.  It does require a file extension just for the
particular encapsulated MIME type though. For example:
   .aps -> multipart/signed; protocol="application/pkcs7-signature"
   .mht -> multipart/related; type="text/html"

Most MUAs are pretty good about dispatching viewers based on the file
extension. For Windows this particular capability comes with the OS.

LL