Re: application/mime and binary data

1997-07-29 06:45:42
At 02:15 PM 7/28/97 -0700, Ned Freed wrote:
Ned,

In the interest of testing whether there is a simple solution to a complex
prove to be useful in other contexts. But it does add unnecessary
complexity in
some cases, which is bad. However, it will definitely keep converters out of

        When does it add complexity that isn't necessary?

        I'm assumin g that the text which followed the above isn't the answer.
The reason is that it pertained only to smime and was predicated on a
series of quite plausibe, but very broken, implementation actions.  It
seems to me that that isn't "unecessary complexity".  I'd guess that such
implementors are likely to get pretty much ANY mechanism wrong...

d/
Dave Crocker
Internet Mail Consortium                               +1 408 246 8253
675 Spruce Dr.                                    fax: +1 408 249 6205
Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA              info(_at_)imc(_dot_)org ,
http://www.imc.org

Member, interim Policy Oversight Committee     http://www.gtld-mou.org