New versions of the drafts: please read

1997-09-05 09:17:18
We're getting very near the end of the revision cycle for both drafts. I've
submitted new versions to the Internet Drafts directory, and they should
show up there in a few days. In the meantime, please read them at
<http://www.imc.org/draft-dusse-smime-msg> and
<http://www.imc.org/draft-dusse-smime-cert>.

I would very much like to finish the discussion of these by the end of next
week. If you're planning on attending the S/MIME developer's conference,
there will certainly be a discussion of them there. Because there are two
open issues in the draft-dusse-smime-msg draft, we still need to do a bit
of work on it, but other than that, we should be finished soon.

For those of you tracking the changes, here are the change summaries for
the two drafts.

*****draft-dusse-smime-msg*****

The following changes were made between the -02 and -03 revisions of
this draft:

Fixed many typos throughout the document found by Lisa Repka.

Fixed typos in the mailing list address and Section 3.

Added references to the cryptographic algorithms.

Clarified that the degnerate case is in Section 2.4.2.

Removed Section 2.4.4 and the reference to PEM since SignedAndEncrypted
was only mentioned as a SHOULD NOT.

Removed "and/or encrypted" from Section 2.5. Added paragraph about
handling new attributes and values. Added similar wording to the end
of Section 2.5.2.

Removed "and encryption" from the first sentence of Section 2.6 since
the sentence is about receiving agents.

Added paragraph at the end of Section 3.1.1 about canonicalization
in character sets.

Changed the last sentence of 3.2.1 to say implementations must not
rely on the extension.

Made micalg required in Section 3.4.2.2 and defined its values.

Added paragraph in Section 3.4.2.4 prohibiting binary in app/mime.

Added "application/pkcs10" to Section 3.9.

Added text at the end of Section 4.1 discussing multiple key pairs.
Also change the "SHOULD NOT" to "MUST NOT" generate keys under 512
bits.

In Appendix A, lowercased the "us" to conform to ASN.1.

In Appendix E, added "name" as an optional parameter in each
registration.

Fixed Appendix G with RSA-approved wording.

*****draft-dusse-smime-cert*****

The following changes were made between the -01 and -02 revisions of
this draft:

Fixed typos in the mailing list address and Section 3.

Changed 2.2 to say MUST for v1 and v3 certs, and dropped v2 certs.
Also clarified what kind of cert should be sent.

Added sentence to the end of 2.3 indicating that receiving agents
should be able to handle no-certs messages.

Removed reference to PKCS #9 from 3.2 and fixed X.520 refs.

Restructured 5.2 to remove references to PKCS #9 by incorporating the
text from PKCS #9 here.

Restructured the tables in 3.2 and 5.2.

Removed [PEM] reference.

Removed Appendix E (open issues), and renumbered other appendixes.

Fixed Appendix E (was F) with RSA-approved wording.

--Paul E. Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium