Is 7bit restriction to signature practical?

1997-09-10 20:56:54
Some sons of multipart/signed(aka RFC1847) including PGP/MIME and
S/MIME restricts an object to be signed to 7bit. From the UA
programmer's point of view, I wonder if this restriction is practical.

Let me give you an example.

In Europa, we can find many 8bit messages as follows:

        ISO-8859-1 text comes here.

When I try to forward this message with my signature, how should I do?
I mean that I want to create the following message.

        --foo

        An explanation on the following forwarded message.

        --foo

        --bar

        ISO-8859-1 text comes here.

        --bar

        Signature comes here.

        --bar--

        --foo--

Since 7bit restriction is required, I think the forwarded message must
be first analyzed with MIME syntax then be converted to 7bit.

Is this practical? How about forwarding a more complex MIME message
which is in 8bit?

I guess many implementations just include messages when forwarded.

--Kazu