Re: S/MIME Crack? Beware press bearing incomplete stories

1997-09-26 13:25:19
Actually, while there were some interoperability issues with the Beta 2 version
of Outlook Express (the Internet Explorer mail client), these have been
addressed for the final release (which will be on the Web on September 30); we
do interop with Netscape Communicator.

-George Hatoun
Program Manager,
Microsoft Outlook Express
-----Original Message-----
    From: Bruce Schneier <schneier(_at_)counterpane(_dot_)com>
    To: smime-dev(_at_)RSA(_dot_)COM <smime-dev(_at_)RSA(_dot_)COM>;
ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org <ietf-smime(_at_)imc(_dot_)org>
    Date: Friday, September 26, 1997 9:30 AM
    Subject: S/MIME Crack? Beware press bearing incomplete stories

    [...]

    I wrote this screen saver not to trash S/MIME (even though the announcement
    was used by another company), but to 1) illustrate that 40-bit RC2 really
    is insecure, and 2) try to force companies who implement S/MIME to get
    DES and triple-DES to interoperate.  I heard recently that RSADSI has said
    there is a triple-DES message on their website that can be understood by
    both Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape Communicator.  I don't know
    about the message, but when I tried to get DES and triple-DES to
interoperate
    a few months ago I couldn't.

    Bruce

    Bruce Schneier, President, Counterpane Systems     Phone: 612-823-1098
    101 E Minnehaha Parkway, Minneapolis,MN  55419       Fax: 612-823-1590
                                                http://www.counterpane.com