Re: Creation of new SMIME OID

1997-10-07 07:13:25
OIDs from any arc are fine with me.

Russ

At 07:04 PM 10/3/97 -0700, Blake Ramsdell wrote:
Originally an OID was registered under the PKCS #9 tree for
SMIMECapabilities.  Going forward, we will be presented with other OIDs
that need to be created and managed that do not seem like they should be
placed under SMIMECapabilities.  Instead of cluttering up PKCS #9, I
propose that we create a new OID called SMIME under the PKCS #9 tree,
and all NEW S/MIME OIDs are created under that.  This is something that
has been discussed in the authors group, and I think this is a good way
to go.

SMIMECapabilities and any capabilities-related OIDs will stay under the
existing SMIMECapabilities OID.  Anything else will go under SMIME.

Any objections?  By leaving the SMIMECapabilities where it is, we don't
disrupt the existing vendors that are using it.

I don't think that this is anything to panic about, and it's a pretty
minor point, so silence indicates approval.

The new OID will be posted next week, assuming there aren't any major
objections.

Blake C. Ramsdell
Worldtalk Corporation
For current info, check http://www.deming.com/users/blaker
Voice +1 425 882 8861 x103  Fax +1 425 882 8060