Initial S/MIME 3 CMS Comments

1997-11-03 07:22:43
After a quick look at the ASN.1 I've noticed the following:

1. The definition of SignedData includes

crls [1] IMPLICIT CRLs OPTIONAL

but no definition for CRLs is provided.  A definition for the old PKCS #7
CertificateRevocationLists is provided in section 7.1.  Either section
7.1 should be changed to define CRLs or the SignedData definition should be
changed to use CertificateRevocationLists.  I suggest changing the SignedData
definition to use the existing PKCS #7 definition.

2. Section 5.2 includes

signatureAlgorithm   signatureAlgorithmIdentifier

"signatureAlgorithmIdentifier" should be SignatureAlgorithmIdentifier, with
an upper case "S".

3. Section 7.7 includes

serialNumber  CertificateSerialNumber

PKCS #7 says that CertificateSerialNumber is imported from X.509, but the
1988 X.509 spec doesn't include a definition for CertificateSerialNumber.
It defines "SerialNumber".  This should be changed to SerialNumber unless
CertificateSerialNumber is defined in a later version of X.509.

4. In section 7.9 a definition for Version is included.  Version is defined
in X.509, so maybe it could be included from X.509 instead of adding a
definition here.

FWIW,
----->
Scott Hollenbeck