S/MIME and the IETF

1997-11-03 10:26:30
All,

We seem to have inadvertantly touched a nerve with the release that went
out last week.  This was certainly not our intention.  We were merely
trying to sum up the positive work that has taken place over the last
few months in a manner that would answer the questions frequently put to
us by the press.

So, first, nomenclature.  The word "applied" was used only to convey
that the appropriate letters, drafts, and charter has been discussed and
published.  I realize that there is not really an application form, so
perhaps another word would have been better.

Second, we in no way intended to take credit for the good work of the
authors and editors.  RSA has been the focal point for S/MIME
development and comment for some time, so we took the step of announcing
all of the good progress.  Anyone who feels miffed has my apology.

Lastly, I think it is safe to say that S/MIME is moving forward in the
IETF.  This is important to all of us, and we should continue to work in
this direction.

Regards,

Tim

Tim Matthews